Wednesday, June 30, 2010

She's My Mentor (In My Head): Kelly Cutrone

[caption id="attachment_1830" align="aligncenter" width="468" caption="Kelly w/her assistant Andrew Mukamal"][/caption]

About two weeks ago I experienced one of the most memorable & exciting days of my life,  I finally got  the chance to meet a woman who I greatly admire face to face! My partner in grind Aly from Le Modern Girl & I headed up to Bryant Park's Reading Room to catch a discussion/q&a with  Kelly Cutrone of People's Revolution. It was a very intimate setting outside in the park with about 100 ppl in attendance not counting all of the onlookers.

First let me say if you have not read Kelly's book "If You Have To Cry Go Outside", please do yourself the favor and read it ASAP! I finished the book in 2 days & would have finished it in one if I didn't have little distractions here & there, I really did not want to put the book down! I think people watch the City & because of the way they edit the show for the most part, derive that Kelly is constantly more harsh & cut-throat than she is in real life. I mean granted she doesn't play games & she is very straight forward, after listening to her speak  I learned that she is an extremely selfless & compassionate human being. She answered the audiences questions thoroughly about how she balances her career & personal life-she doesn't to how you should go on interviews looking like you are apart of the brand. Very practical information that everyone is not knowledgeable of, but that all woman should know.

[caption id="attachment_1831" align="aligncenter" width="468" caption="Meeting Kelly Cutrone at the Bryant Park Reading Room"][/caption]

After the discussion ended, she stayed behind to sign copies of her book & graciously took the time to chat with each person. My friend & I stood in line for about an hour I believe, but it was so worth it(she let us cut the line too ;)). I couldn't believe how giving she was with her time & knowledge, she really talked without rushing to every person that stood in that line to have their book signed. I took away a lot that day from her discussion & from the brief chat we had, I felt more empowered as a mother & a woman!

[caption id="attachment_1832" align="aligncenter" width="468" caption="Afterwards in Bryant Park Library wearing a floral patchwork Vintage dress from Calico Vintage www.shopcalico.com/shop/"][/caption]

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

9 comments:

  1. You look incredibly fab and I am so jealous of you. Wish I would have known I would have been front and center. Love your vintage dress btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's my mentor (in my head ) too! How wonderful you got to meet her and she's everything you hoped. Major points for going to the library too - you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kelly. Amamzing thatnyou got to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nuvany Ni'ce, Nuvany Ni'ce and Nuvany Ni'ce. Nuvany Ni'ce said: On Nuvany Nice/She's My Mentor (In My Head): Kelly Cutrone http://tinyurl.com/2g3ob5f [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely one of my mentors in the head, too. I'm so glad you got to meet her in person. You look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, yeah a friend told me about it otherwise I would have not know either...It was such an amazing experience, she is kind & genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx Natalie, that day meeting Kelly was truly memorable..You had to see her, she was so patient & genuinely interested in talking with every person that stood in line to get their book signed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thx it was a great experience that I won't forget!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails