Monday, November 23, 2009

Grinding: Ouxu Cheng



1. Name/Alias: Ouxu Cheng

2.Where are you from/ Where do you currently live?: I am from Holland and I currently live in Den Haag.

3. Where did/do you go to school and your major?: I finished high school. After that I tried several studies; European Business Studies, Fashion school and a Cultural Social Education. The subject matter was interesting to me, but studying itself was hard. Mostly because it was difficult for me to concentrate. I get distracted quickly.
During one of my studies I finished a make-up course. That was fun, cause it was like a painting class.

4. What is your Grind? My grind is currently freelance make-up and photography. I am also working on a concert photography book which consists of photos of some of my favorite musicians I've shot in the past few years. As long as I can create I am happy.

5.  How did you get into what your doing now?: I rolled into it. It wasn't my intention to become a make-up artist. It just seemed fun. After the course I kept assisting other make-up artists and eventually got my own gigs. Six months later I got a chance to work for a national tv production company. I got the job and stayed there for 2,5 years. I learned a lot during that period. Right now I am freelancing. Photography I started doing for fun as well. The more I did it, the more I loved it.

6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?: When I was a kid I saw myself walking around as a successful business woman  in a suit with an attaché suitcase. I dreamed of having chains of restaurants as big as McDonalds. Maybe one day..

7. What are some contributing factors that shaped the life you live now?: My upbringing. My family came to Holland to make money and survive. To create a better life for themselves and for their children. They had no choice but to work hard without the freedom to do what they would've liked to do. My generation is freeing itself from that. I am very happy that I have the choice to do what I like. It's still hard work, but on a different level.

8. Any specific people that mentored or helped guide you to your current path?: My aunt is a key factor in my life. She is an inspiration to me. Aside from what she's accomplished (after raising 5 children she became a certified doctor specialized in natural medicine) she has always supported the family. My sister has always been there for me.

9. What motivates you?: The challenge to achieve motivates me. Lots of talented people around me motivate me. In daily life it's 'progress in whatever i do' that keeps me going when I feel less motivated.

10. Your favorite author and why?: I have two favorite books. One is The Prophet by Khalil Gibran and the other is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Meditations is my bible.

11. What are 3 goals you want to achieve within the next year?:

- Become healthier. It's the base for everything else.
- Become an expert in photo editing and video editing!
- Decluttering my house till all I've left is my computer, my hard drives, my camera and my phone.

12. One person that continuously inspires you and why?: There are so many people I meet who inspire me. It's hard to name one. I like passionate people and people who show their strength during tough times. And Rev Run.

13. 3 Indie brands you LOVE to rock?: There is no special indie brand that I like.I wear whatever I like and what feels comfortable on me. I like sneakers and dresses. If there's a brand that combines those two, that will be my fav brand.

14. What annoys you the most?: People who complain.

15. Your best quality?: Loyalty.

Visit Ouxu's photo blog here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails